Monday, 11 February 2013

Madrid - a gay night out. Hostal Orly & Cheuca

Finally I get to spend a night out in Madrid and discover the gay scene. It's been over 10 years since I visited the gay night life of Madrid and it's great to be back. I really do Like the city and people are so open about homosexuality - it's great. So many gay couples walk hand-in-hand in the street.

On living the grand travel event of Fitur on the Friday, I headed to Hostal Orly, I wanted something cheap for the night, £35, on booking.com and I must say - what a surprise. I didn't have high expectations, but these superseded anything. Yes, the room is a private hostal room with ensuite, but it's no different than a cheap 2* or 3* hotel and better prices.

The room was big and clean with lots of light overlooking the Gran Via. There was a TV with nearly 50 TV channels, I could have had more electric points, but what I really liked was the added touch of the bathroom with hairdryer and soap. It's so hard to find this in some hotels, let alone a hostel.

It was quiet and I slept incredibly well, I had heating from the Air Con, there was a decent sized wardrobe and the staff there were incredibly friendly. There's no bad word to say about this place, furthermore they are soon to undergo a rennovation. www.hostalorlymadrid.com


Gran Via is also incredibly central and right next to the gay district of Chueca where we visited Liquid, Ohmm and a few other bars. It was quiet for a Friday, but I am told Saturday is the best night now in the tight economy where over 1 in 4 youngsters are unemployed. You may also experience one of the many day and night demonstrations that are happening daily...

Head to Madrid - I love it